Guest Comments

We would love to hear your stories, comments, memories and thoughts about this amazing couple and their family! Please leave your comments by clicking on the comment link to one of the posts below or email your messages to mwmcnamara@msn.com and we will add them for you! Thanks for visiting!!

It's A Miracle! (Article printed in local papers)

It’s a miracle!

Despite raising seven unruly, opinionated children, relocating nearly one hundred times, and making countless trips to the emergency room, Ross and Pat McNamara will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on December 27, 2008. Yes, folks, it is a miracle!

Their journey together began at the Gold and Green Ball in New Orleans in 1957. She fell for the dashing airman from Idaho. He was attracted to her Southern charms. They were married in Baton Rouge just after Christmas in 1958.

Their crazy adventures included numerous cross-country migrations and a few international expeditions. Ross, at the mercy of his Norwegian gypsy heritage, worked in the oil industry until the oil boom of the 80’s, at which point he took up teaching. Pat (or Tricia as she was known in high school) has worked every shift at most major hospitals from Washington to Louisiana as a respiratory therapist. He currently teaches at the Salt Lake Community College and she works for Praxair in Lindon.

Incredulous witnesses include their seven children, Tessa (Brian), Kristie (Steve), Karon, Kim (Glenn), Mike (another Kim), Mark (Shelly) and Kjrstin (and another Steve), twenty-three grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Most surprised of all is Pat’s mama, Theresa Ward, of Jena, Louisiana.

If you would like more details about their astonishing lives, check out their blog at http://www.mamaimarriedayankee.blogspot.com/. She didn’t actually say that; what she really said was “Mama, I married a *@#! Yankee!” But this is a family newspaper, so we’ll leave it at that.
If you would like to congratulate them, those same unruly children are holding a beach party in their honor on the 27th at 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Canyon View Stake Center, Spanish Fork

Monday, December 29, 2008

From: Susie and Ted Ransom

I have a BIG case of "hero-worship" for my big brother and his beautiful wife. Let me tell you why. Because Ross left home for the Air Force when I was only 4, I don't have a lot of early memories. But I remember vividly when he brought Pat home to meet her new Idaho family. I thought she was the most beautiful lady I had ever seen. Not only was she beautiful, but she was nice as well. When they lived on Monterey Street in Idaho Falls, they would let me stay overnight with them. Boy, did I feel grown up and special. After they moved away, I would look forward with great anticipation to their trips home.

When I was a senior in high school, Ross asked me (with Pat's permission I hope) to come to school at BYU and live with them. I could babysit for room and board. I enjoyed every minute of that time. Even the babysitting!!! Ross and I used to play duets on the piano until we drove those close around us away. Pat never complained about that. I always appreciated their willingness to include me in their home.

After I had my family, when we would all get together, we looked forward to Pat's delicious food and the "way past midnight" visits with Ross. He could talk any subject. Those visits are some of the highlights of my memories. (When my family gets together to visit today, we still talk about what a great cook Pat is!)

I always knew that Ross and Pat were full of fun, love, and support. This has been shown to me many times over the years. The latest example of their support was this summer when Brian died. They came and stayed right close with us running errands, and helping with arrangements. I wouldn't have made it through all of that without their help. These are just a few of the reasons why I have this well deserved case of "hero-worship."

I am so proud of their accomplishments in their careers, their Church, and their family. They are a good example to all of us. (I am already looking forward to our next get together at their house--I can smell the steaks cooking and I am ready for a long discussion on the virtues of retirement!!)

Ross and Pat, we love you!

Susie and Ted Ransom
.

No comments: